Skip to main content

a little back story.

It might be good to give some history before I dive in. Context can always help us understand and know others more fully, and our stories are part of that context.

Briefly:

- Canadian baby, born as the youngest of four to my Egyptian father and Canadian mother.

- A move to the big, bad USA as a young child changed the course of that cultural trajectory.

- Private, Christian education from pre-k to graduation, created a world of safety, care, and slightly sheltered for my young personhood. Protected me from much of the gross world, for which I am grateful. Still processing through the fearfulness and judgment I can have toward "others" as a result. Mostly great memories, including finishing up my high school years as the only female in a class of eight students. FUN.

- A brief stint at community college, then finished my bachelors degree at Bible school, with a degree in counseling. These years were hugely transformational, taking me out of my "big fish in a tiny pond" to a place where I had to blatantly look at who I was, and work through what I saw - all with a new, deeper understanding of sin and grace. These years were HARD. But I came out with a new-found relationship with God, a deeper understanding of how he sees me and others, long-term friendships, and a love for residence life.

- Post-graduation I found myself taking a job farther away than I could ever have imagined. I climbed on a plane in the midwest, and found myself in the middle of nowhere Alaska. Never having been to Alaska, flown alone (ask me about how I fainted multiple times on the flight over Canada), or ANY idea of what I was getting myself into, I jumped into working at a public boarding school in a village  of 300 people, where you can only get to by plane or boat.

- This work in the dorms of the school opened my eyes and my heart to a culture I had no knowledge of. I fell in love with these Alaskan Native high schoolers and even the pace of the small village. A small Bible church and the families involved, invested in my life and my growth in a way that has forever changed me.

- In this village, I also found my love. My husband. And what a crazy piece of that whole adventure.

- In my years in this village, I had some of my hardest years, but also formed the relationships that have been the most life-giving, the ones that will

- I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. No more gluten for me. (Insert many literal tears).

- I learned what capacity I had to hurt others, and their capacity for forgiveness.

- I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Many pooped-my-pants stories ahead.

- I got married, starting the relationship that exposes you to your own sin on a new level, and reveals the intense depth of forgiveness and grace that can exist in a marriage focused on loving as Christ loves us.

- God called us to full-time ministry with Alaskan young adults: a move from security to utter FAITH.

- I was pregnant with our first child soon after committing to a move of full-time ministry.

- We moved out of the village back to the city, preparing for our ministry with support-raising (WHAT a lesson in faith).

- We lost our daughter Avery Michelle unexpectedly after a normal pregnancy when I was 29 weeks pregnant, still-born from a placental abruption.

- We found a new level of a capacity of how much you can love a person, and the irrational depth of pain that is involved when you lose them.

- I was told I have a genetic mutation called Factor V Leiden after the fact. This likely caused a blood clot that triggered the placental abruption, ending Avery's life.

- We jumped into house ministry, residence life, alongside Alaskan young adults living in the city.

- We are finding a new normal that involves being parents without a living child, Christians intent on believing in the goodness of our good God even when we cannot see it, and people that glorify God in the joys and the sorrows.

And here you will find us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avery's Birth Story

This is our firstborn, our daughter Avery's birth story. While I believe every birth story is beautifully full of pain and joy, I understand that this might be hard for some people to read, so I wanted to just give a heads up: This includes beautiful photos of our little girl, who was stillborn. I am going to share the details of her birth, which even for living children, can be a bit much for some to read. It's written haltingly, in mere facts; my thoughts and commentary may come in other posts, but this is mainly to tell a story. This is a story of life and death. This is the story of an immense love, a profound loss, and a good God. Yes, He is good even in this. Avery Michelle. I was 29 weeks pregnant. My pregnancy had been relatively normal. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which had flared up at 5 weeks pregnant, and I had been pretty sick off and on during the 6+ months I was carrying our baby. We had been nursing my UC with prednisone and enemas to keep thin

I miss you in the exact same moments.

Today marks eleven months since our daughter Avery died inside me.  Eleven months since we saw her beautiful face for the first and last time. Eleven months of feeling so proud to have had her as our child, and so broken that we didn't get to keep her here with us.  And in a couple days, our second daughter will be born. Not even a whole year since we said goodbye.  As many moms that have lost their babies too soon would tell you, pregnancy after loss is not for the faint of heart. Our story of getting pregnant again is an incredible one. Every time I think about it, it floors me. (See our previous blog post). God has gifted us AGAIN with another beautiful daughter.  But, there are pieces of it all that I find myself pulled in every direction. Every time someone congratulates me on being pregnant, a part of me wants to scream about it, knowing that there is no guarantee we get to bring home this baby girl. A part of me wants to stop them and tell them about the beautifu

Our Second Child.

There is no way to talk about the joy of our second baby on the way without explaining a little more of the events leading up to this pregnancy. I begin this post with deep love and prayer, knowing our joy has the potential to bring pain to those who are not in the same place of joy. I write this with a new level of sensitivity, knowing that pregnancy announcements can bring up a myriad of emotions. To those who are longing for their own pregnancy or missing little ones they had to say goodbye to, I write this with all the love that I can. I do not know why God allows us to go through those pains or feel those longings; or why it is so different for each of us. But, this is the story God is writing for us; and we will speak it openly with joy, for he deserves all the praise for this sweet story.  As you most likely know, our daughter Avery was stillborn on August 21, 2018, when I was 29 weeks pregnant. The loss of her life was, and is, the most painful thing I've walked