Skip to main content

White Owl

I now live in Alaska.
It snowed a couple times this week, also known as September.

Two weeks ago, after a challenging and confusing summer, after a wonderful goodbye party thrown by my mom and sister, I boarded my first flight to my destination: sweet, small little Galena, Alaska.

After five flights, four time zones, fainting twice on one flight, one hotel room, a buffalo burger with a friend, jet lag, and a 16 passenger plane, I made it. I was picked up by my dear friends Amanda and Jake, and  they showed me around my new home while filling me in on what life has been like in Galena.

Flying somewhere over Canada.



Flying into Anchorage, AK


Little 16 passenger plane you cannot stand upright in.

Somewhere between Fairbanks and Galena

It is small village of about 500 residents, on the Yukon river, and is surrounded by marshland - hence, the only flying in and out the village. I was amazed at the fact that the season of fall was in full force while at home, summer was still hanging about. Even more fascinating, is that now as I look out my window, fall is gone, winter is here, and leaves are no longer on the trees at all.

Flying into Galena

Galena


The first week is a bit of a blur, the combination of catching up on sleep, shadowing co-workers on the job (I came into the job later than everyone else), getting my apartment in order, trying to learn 100 high school girls' names, trying to figure out what a day on the job looks like, and the reality settling in that I just moved to Alaska.

Overall, it's been a great two weeks. I still cannot believe that I am getting paid to hang out with and love on high-school students. I nearly have every girl's name down, and some of the boys, not without often humorous error. My apartment is beginning to feel a little more home-like, and with the super generous package of food from Walmart from my sister, I finally have something more than cereal, peanut butter, and ramen noodles. I have been grouse (it's a wild bird) hunting, have eaten moose burgers and grouse, live behind the airport, have already been able to play music with Lou and Ellie at church, and seen the spectacular green Northern Lights.

Thinking about it right now, I just feel so blessed. The Lord provided a job, and one that I think I am going to love. I work and live with incredible people, I work with great (and challenging) students, the Christian community here is so much greater than I expected, and God's provision is great.

It's an adjustment. Living alone in an apartment, working with kids who have great needs, being far from home, learning a new job, and living in bush Alaska. Yes, we have two small markets with overpriced groceries, a coffee shop, an airport, and a post office, but it is different not being able to drive to Target, Applebees, or take a train home for the weekend. But I get to hang out with awesome people, experience -70 F weather (sometime in Jan/Feb), and my job really is such a great opportunity.

I want to learn what it means to love the students well, live intentionally in small community,  use my free time wisely, and push myself in personal growth when school isn't there to do it for me. As I continue this year, I anticipate some very difficult times will come along, but it is humbling to realize that God has placed me here and will not leave me to fend for myself. May he use this year to shape me more into someone who lives life in a consistently Christ-like manner, eagerly seeking his will each day. May I truly be the love of Christ to those around me.

This post was titled after a song by Josh Garrels called White Owl which has kind of been a soundtrack of the last month of my life. I haven't been able to stop listening to it for weeks. Be blessed.

When the night comes, 
and you don’t know which way to go 
Through the shadowlands, 
and forgotten paths, 
you will find a road 

Like an owl you must fly by moonlight with an open eye, 
And use your instinct as a guide, to navigate the ways that lays before you, 
You were born to, take the greatest flight 

Like a serpent and a dove, you will have wisdom born of love 
To carry visions from above into the places no man dares to follow 
Every hollow in the dark of night 
Waiting for the light 
Take the flame tonight 

Child the time has come for you to go 
You will never be alone 
Every dream that you have been shown 
Will be like living stone 
Building you into a home 
A shelter from the storm 

Like a messenger of peace, the beauty waits be released 
Upon the sacred path you keep, leading deeper into the unveiling 
As you'r sailing, across the great divide 

Like a wolf at midnight howls, you use your voice in darkest hours 
To break the silence and the power, holding back the others from their glory 
Every story will be written soon 
The blood is on the moon 
Morning will come soon 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Avery's Birth Story

This is our firstborn, our daughter Avery's birth story. While I believe every birth story is beautifully full of pain and joy, I understand that this might be hard for some people to read, so I wanted to just give a heads up: This includes beautiful photos of our little girl, who was stillborn. I am going to share the details of her birth, which even for living children, can be a bit much for some to read. It's written haltingly, in mere facts; my thoughts and commentary may come in other posts, but this is mainly to tell a story. This is a story of life and death. This is the story of an immense love, a profound loss, and a good God. Yes, He is good even in this. Avery Michelle. I was 29 weeks pregnant. My pregnancy had been relatively normal. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which had flared up at 5 weeks pregnant, and I had been pretty sick off and on during the 6+ months I was carrying our baby. We had been nursing my UC with prednisone and enemas to keep thin

I miss you in the exact same moments.

Today marks eleven months since our daughter Avery died inside me.  Eleven months since we saw her beautiful face for the first and last time. Eleven months of feeling so proud to have had her as our child, and so broken that we didn't get to keep her here with us.  And in a couple days, our second daughter will be born. Not even a whole year since we said goodbye.  As many moms that have lost their babies too soon would tell you, pregnancy after loss is not for the faint of heart. Our story of getting pregnant again is an incredible one. Every time I think about it, it floors me. (See our previous blog post). God has gifted us AGAIN with another beautiful daughter.  But, there are pieces of it all that I find myself pulled in every direction. Every time someone congratulates me on being pregnant, a part of me wants to scream about it, knowing that there is no guarantee we get to bring home this baby girl. A part of me wants to stop them and tell them about the beautifu

Our Second Child.

There is no way to talk about the joy of our second baby on the way without explaining a little more of the events leading up to this pregnancy. I begin this post with deep love and prayer, knowing our joy has the potential to bring pain to those who are not in the same place of joy. I write this with a new level of sensitivity, knowing that pregnancy announcements can bring up a myriad of emotions. To those who are longing for their own pregnancy or missing little ones they had to say goodbye to, I write this with all the love that I can. I do not know why God allows us to go through those pains or feel those longings; or why it is so different for each of us. But, this is the story God is writing for us; and we will speak it openly with joy, for he deserves all the praise for this sweet story.  As you most likely know, our daughter Avery was stillborn on August 21, 2018, when I was 29 weeks pregnant. The loss of her life was, and is, the most painful thing I've walked