Skip to main content

Are we missing out on something?

I've recently been asking a lot of questions, stuck wondering about how the world is now and how it was created. I have been stuck staring gapingly at the way our culture functions, feeling like we are somehow missing something profound about how life is supposed to be. Life in the ancient world compared to life now in our modern Western culture could not be more drastically different. Our work, our money, our food, our time, our relationships, are they different? Or the same? I can't pinpoint it; I can't quite wrap my mind around even the questions that are sufacing. I don't have theological conviction, Scripture, or prayer to base my skepticism off of. I am fearful of becoming cynical and discontent, but I can't shake these questions.

I don't know what's planting these queries in my mind, or why they have been so recently present.
Is it because of all the questions of "calling" and my "future" that are uprooted during Missions Conference and general questions about "what's next"? 
Is it because of the recent stress upon money and corporate greed through these Occupy Wall Street protests leaking their way around the world? 
Is it because I glance around my room, unsure of where all this stuff came from, and what the point of having it is?
I need someone to shed some light for me. 

I walk down Michigan Ave once in a while, dumbfounded about how people can justify spending hundreds of dollars on a purse just because of its symbol stamped neatly on a gold-plated strap.

I buy stuff. Stuff that I don't need. I don't need so much clothing, such fancy hair product, the nicest pens, cute little plastic storage containers, a computer, a phone, an ipod, so many shoes. Actually, as I am sitting here, glancing around my room, I am struggling to come up with things I don't need. I seem to be able to justify. "Well, yah, I do need Starbucks coffee, a lot of mugs, movies, my guitar." Still, I'm struggling. How much should I have? It is only temporary anyway. I have so much. I spend so much. Do I really need a computer? Well, I have one. Do I really need a phone? Well, I have one. Do I really need 5 pairs of jeans (even if I only really wear 3)? Well, I have them. I want to compare myself to the women on those TV shows spending $30,000 on a wedding dress, or the fashion industry that millions of dollars float around. I'd like to pat myself on the back for not being so flippant with money, so obsessed with having. But I can't. I don't think I can say no to not having what I have. 

Everything is so easily accessible. To have friends, it takes two seconds to log online and write a surfacey comment on a friend's wall, and can so easily ignore others. I can buy clothing in ten minutes. I can call, email,  call a different phone, text, and skype, my family at any moment. If I can't get a hold of them within 30 minutes, I get worried. I can buy a whole meal that I can make that is ready in 3.5 minutes. I can have a list of the populations of all of the largest American cities in 15 seconds. I don't know what the meaning of hard work is. I don't know what investing, sowing, laboring, and waiting looks like. I know this is what our culture is, but I worry I am missing out on something.

Should I know what it's like to plant crops, take care of them, watch them grow, sow their crop, and work hard to create these crops into a meal literally from scratch? Should I know how to make fabric, how to hand make clothing? Should I know how to live on the mere necessities, without having so much stuff to distract me? How important is simplicity? Should we really have all of this stuff? Should life be as easy as we try to make it? Is there something profound about knowing the Lord through his creation, through his work, through living only on the bare necessities?

Are we missing out on something profound by the abundance of available resources? Are relationships pushed to the back burner because of our skill of being distracted by anything and everything? Is there something that the little house on the prairie had that we really have no understanding of? Why do we all nearly run to our cars to avoid having to interact with the real world? Why do we stand waiting for the train with our headphones in, on our phones, eager to avoid the people who really may be profoundly as lonely as we are?

I am kind of embarrassed by these questions. I imagine people might kind of think they are futile thoughts, and I am just fighting for something foolish. This may be a meaningless struggle. But, why is this conviction so adamantly pounding itself into my thoughts?

I think most of these questions are founded on my questions about where to place my money in the future.
Is it important to buy only fair-trade coffee? Is it important to buy food that is chemical and hormone free? Is it important to live simply on the bare necessities? Should I own technology or is it something that drags me unknowingly away from the God who knows me?  Does God care about these things or is it a matter of freedom in Christ?

May God grant me grace in my eager, yet feeble attempts to live a life of simplicity, honoring and glorifying to him in the small choices I make. May he give me wisdom to live in the tension of knowledge and ignorance, intentionality and freedom. May my life truly be worship in my in his sight, through my life. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avery's Birth Story

This is our firstborn, our daughter Avery's birth story. While I believe every birth story is beautifully full of pain and joy, I understand that this might be hard for some people to read, so I wanted to just give a heads up: This includes beautiful photos of our little girl, who was stillborn. I am going to share the details of her birth, which even for living children, can be a bit much for some to read. It's written haltingly, in mere facts; my thoughts and commentary may come in other posts, but this is mainly to tell a story. This is a story of life and death. This is the story of an immense love, a profound loss, and a good God. Yes, He is good even in this. Avery Michelle. I was 29 weeks pregnant. My pregnancy had been relatively normal. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which had flared up at 5 weeks pregnant, and I had been pretty sick off and on during the 6+ months I was carrying our baby. We had been nursing my UC with prednisone and enemas to keep thin

I miss you in the exact same moments.

Today marks eleven months since our daughter Avery died inside me.  Eleven months since we saw her beautiful face for the first and last time. Eleven months of feeling so proud to have had her as our child, and so broken that we didn't get to keep her here with us.  And in a couple days, our second daughter will be born. Not even a whole year since we said goodbye.  As many moms that have lost their babies too soon would tell you, pregnancy after loss is not for the faint of heart. Our story of getting pregnant again is an incredible one. Every time I think about it, it floors me. (See our previous blog post). God has gifted us AGAIN with another beautiful daughter.  But, there are pieces of it all that I find myself pulled in every direction. Every time someone congratulates me on being pregnant, a part of me wants to scream about it, knowing that there is no guarantee we get to bring home this baby girl. A part of me wants to stop them and tell them about the beautifu

Our Second Child.

There is no way to talk about the joy of our second baby on the way without explaining a little more of the events leading up to this pregnancy. I begin this post with deep love and prayer, knowing our joy has the potential to bring pain to those who are not in the same place of joy. I write this with a new level of sensitivity, knowing that pregnancy announcements can bring up a myriad of emotions. To those who are longing for their own pregnancy or missing little ones they had to say goodbye to, I write this with all the love that I can. I do not know why God allows us to go through those pains or feel those longings; or why it is so different for each of us. But, this is the story God is writing for us; and we will speak it openly with joy, for he deserves all the praise for this sweet story.  As you most likely know, our daughter Avery was stillborn on August 21, 2018, when I was 29 weeks pregnant. The loss of her life was, and is, the most painful thing I've walked